Monday, March 31, 2014

Dreamy Hummus, Ezme Salad, and Gunshot Induced Insomnia

Come spring, I love to savor fresh vegetables. Hummus is one of my favorite ways to make that happen. I have been working on perfecting my traditional hummus recipe for years, but have never been able to get that perfect silky texture I seek. Today, I found the secret.

In the words of my future father-in-law, ‘Prepare to be bonerized.’

… remove the skins from the chick peas. Pinch the beans between your fingers and a thin film will come off. That’s it! So simple! I can’t believe it took ten years to figure it out! I also like to add a little Greek yogurt to take my hummus to a whole ‘nother level.

Enjoy this dreamy hummus with spicy ezme salad. This is basically Mediterranean salsa, and it is a fantastic condiment with kabobs and sandwiches too.



Creamy Dreamy Hummus 
*vegetarian

1 15oz can chickpeas, drained with skins removed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 TBS lemon juice
4 TBS Tahini
4 TBS olive oil
2 TBS Greek yogurt
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground pepper

Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process until blended into a smooth consistency. Garnish with paprika and Greek feta. Serve with pita chips and dipping veggies.



Turkish Ezme Salad
*vegan

2 dried ancho chilies, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes, deseeded and chopped
1 serrano, chopped with seeds
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 handful Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
1 TBS lemon juice
3 TBS tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp paprika

Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process until blended into a salsa consistency. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with pita chips and dipping veggies.



***While writing this post, I was interrupted by the sound multiple gunshots outside. I called the police and then went back to my blog about the realities of domestic bliss. Bill, the cats and I are now huddling in the dark away from windows. The joys of Cincinnati living!

No comments:

Post a Comment