Thursday, March 20, 2014

Beet Pasta & Uncontrollable Sobbing Over A Stockpot

Most of you who know me, know that punctuality is not my gift. So, when I was asked to bring a dish to my friend’s dinner party last weekend, I knew I needed to pad in some extra time for preparations.

I planned to make a pasta dish from one of my favorite recipe publications, Vegetarian Times. I woke on Saturday (afternoon), wrote my grocery list, and then got completely lost in Netflix while unpicking an old pair of jeans for a project that I will probably never complete.

I figured that I needed an hour and half to go to the grocery store and make the dish. That meant I had to get off the couch by 5:15pm in order to get to the dinner party at 7.  Completely unaware, 5:15 came and went. I had forgotten that the living room clock was still an hour behind due to daylight savings and my procrastination. When I came to this conclusion, it was 6:30 and things quickly spiraled out of control.

Anxiety, depression and PCOS do not make for balanced hormones, and I spun into an all out PMS rage. Pots and pans flying, bubbly water splashing, cats bolting, a meltdown ensued. ‘I can’t do it all! What am I doing with my life! I’m so sad all the time!’ Bill slowly backed out of the kitchen and left me to my angry sobbing while I tried to throw together some pasta with whatever I had in the fridge. This is what I ended up with…


Beet Pasta & Uncontrollable Sobbing Over A Stockpot 

4 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS Olive Oil
Ground thyme to taste
Basil to taste
Crushed red pepper to taste
¼ cup lemon juice
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1 large beet, chopped
3 small golden beets, chopped
8 carrots, chopped
18 oz can artichoke hearts – quartered
1 bag frozen peas
1 box Rotini pasta
Ground pepper to taste
Shaved Parmesan blend

11. Heat oil in stockpot and add garlic, thyme, basil, and crushed red pepper. Cook 30 seconds until fragrant. Add lemon juice, vinegar, beets, golden beets, carrots, and artichoke hearts. Cook 10 minutes at medium heat.

22. In separate pot, cook pasta according to package directions.

33. Add peas to vegetable mix. Cook for 5 minutes or until peas are heated. Add pepper to taste.

44. Drain pasta and mix with vegetables.

55. Serve warm and garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese.


We still showed up late, but the pasta was a success!


Later in the week, I decided to go to the grocery store and make the Fusilli Col Buco with Braised Spring Vegetables that I originally planned for the potluck.




Fresh herbs and a hearty broth made this recipe much more delicious and complex, but I’m still proud that my rushed beet pasta was edible. Happy Spring Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment